While a pressure cooker is a great tool to help you cut down your cooking time, there are also a lot of recipes that you can actually make solely in this kitchen equipment. Learning about these dishes will help you get more use out of your pressure cooker, making it ideal for beginners and seasoned users of this kitchen appliance.
If you’re curious about what you can make with this nifty appliance, here are a few great electric pressure cooker recipes that you can try at home.
Three Bean Salad
Beans are never included in a lazy cook’s recipe book as they take a lot of time to prepare. With an electric pressure cooker, though, you can now make this Three Bean Salad at any time of the week.
What you need:
- 1 cup chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 1 cup Borlotti or Cranberry Beans
- 1.5 cups of fresh or frozen Green Beans
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 clove of slightly crushed garlic
- 2 chopped finely celery stalks
- ½ finely chopped red onion
- 1 bunch finely chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Quick soak the beans using your pressure cooker. Here’s how to do this:
- Rinse the dried beans.
- Place the rinsed beans in the pressure cooker pot. Add four cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt for every cup of beans in the recipe.
- Bring the contents to a boil without a cover.
- Once the contents are boiling, place the pressure cooker’s lid on top and cook for 2 minutes on high pressure.
- After the 2 minute mark, slowly release the pressure.
- Strain the beans and rinse well under cold water.
- Rinse the pot.
- Once the beans are already soaked and rinsed, separate the green beans and place it in an aluminum foil.
- Prepare the pressure cooker by adding 4 cups of fresh water.
- Add the soaked chickpeas, bay leaf, and garlic clove.
- Place the soaked Barlotti beans on the steamer basket.
- Place the green beans in aluminum foil in the pot using a trivet or another accessory as long as it’s above the water.
- Close and lock the pressure cooker. Set it to a high temperature until it the pot pressurizes. Lower the heat but keep the pressure setting at high. Cook it for 13-15 minutes.
- While waiting for the beans, start working on the dressing. Mix the onion with vinegar and sugar, then set aside to soak.
- After the 15-minute cooking time, release the pressure naturally by leaving the pot alone. If the pressure hasn’t been fully released after 10 minutes, release what’s left using the pressure valve.
- Once the pressure has been completely released, remove the packet of green beans and slice them. Move the beans from the steamer basket into a strainer and rinse it under cold water. You can save the cooking water and use it later as vegetable stock.
- Mix all the beans together in a serving bowl. Add the celery, olive oil, and parsley. You can also add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for later consumption.
Red Wine Braised Beef Tongue
Beef is another popular ingredient for electric pressure cooker recipes as this appliance can easily cut down the cooking time of this meat. The Red Wine Braised Beef Tongue is a hearty dish you can enjoy with family and friends for a nice sit-down dinner.
What you need:
- 2-3 lb beef tongue
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onions
- ½ cup chopped olives
- 2 tbsp crushed and minced garlic
- 1 tbsp chili pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- Place the beef tongue inside the pot then add every ingredient into the pot.
- Close the pressure cooker lid tightly. Adjust the pressure valve to airtight.
- Program the pressure cooker to cook for 60 minutes then press start.
- Once the 60 minutes is up, let the pressure cooker release its pressure naturally. Adjust the pressure valve after 10 to 15 minutes if all of the pressure hasn’t been released yet.
- Open the pot and give it a nice stir. You can season it with salt and pepper. If you haven’t sliced your meat before placing it in the pot, you can slice it now.
- Serve immediately or place in the fridge to cool so you can remove the fat that will harden. This way, you can eliminate the fat and enjoy a healthy dish.